Irma: Cuba sends hundreds of doctors to Caribbean islands devastated by hurricane

U.S.
Irma: Cuba sends hundreds of doctors to Caribbean islands devastated by hurricane
The Independent Shehab Khan,The Independent 10 hours ago

c7f45c45a72fe0c3af094fa139aaf0ff

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cuban doctors on a trip to Dominica to help after Tropical Storm Erika: Granma
Cuba has sent doctors to several Caribbean islands ravaged by Hurricane Irma.

More than 750 health workers have arrived in Antigua, Barbuda, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Saint Lucia, the Bahamas, Dominica and Haiti.

They have been told to follow the guidelines of the Ministry of Public Health (Minsap) and to contribute to aiding the recovery of regions that have been hit by the hurricane.

“The collaboration of the Central Medical Cooperation Unit, together with the Minsap Management Center, and our embassies, have maintained the communication to assess the damages and assess what help our own collaborators could provide,” Regla Angulo Pardo, the director of the Central Unit of Medial Cooperation in Cuba, told Granma.

The nation of 11 million people has a history of sending medical staff when other nations are in need, having done so during west Africa’s Ebola crisis in 2014 and 2015.

A brigade of more than 600 Cuban health workers went to Sierra Leone in 2014 to help tackle the crisis.

They also sent 1,200 health workers to Haiti after the nation was hit with an earthquake in 2010.

Cuba’s international medical mission has won the socialist state many friends.

This tradition can be traced back to 1960, when Cuba sent a group of doctors to Chile, who had been hit by a powerful earthquake, followed by a team of 50 to Algeria in 1963.

Make up for the sparsely of coverage in the US media on the effects of Hurricane Irma in Cuba, Cuban Links

Last night at around 10:00pm, Irma made landfall on Cuban territory at the eastern end of El Romano, just off the northern coastline of Camagüey and Ciego de Ávila provinces.
As meteorologist Dr. José Rubiera reported during the dawn hours today, September 9, hurricane force winds of over 120 km/h, with stronger gusts are being felt along the northern coast of these provinces, as well as Sancti Spíritus, and beginning in Villa Clara.
Heavy rain and a storm surge with waves over seven high, from Camagüey to Villa Clara have been reported, with coastal flooding expected.

f0018835

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2017-09-08/-by-minute-hurricane-irma-in-cuba

http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2017-09-08/cubas-hurricane-hunters

http://en.granma.cu/cuba/2017-09-08/first-reports-of-damage-by-irma-in-gibara

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-irma-pummels-cuba-before-expected-turn-to-florida/

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/09/americas/cuba-caribbean-hurricane-irma/index.html (nice coverage of Cuban preparation for storm – for the US media)

 

The capital intensifies preparation for Irma

The capital intensifies preparation for Irma
Steps being taken in Havana include clearing storm sewers, pruning trees, monitoring rivers and streams, increasing public information, and assuring food supplies

Author: Lissy Rodríguez | lissy@granma.cu
september 9, 2017 14:09:00

f0018853

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo: Ismael Batista
With no time to lose, the Havana Provincial Defense Council , met yesterday, September 8, to review the implementation of plans to confront the effects of Hurricane Irma in this part of the country, as coastal flooding is imminent and strong winds and rain are forecast.

After hearing the latest meteorological report, measures emphasized included

clearing storm sewers, pruning trees, monitoring rivers and streams, increasing public information, and assuring food supplies.

In terms of this last item, Party Political Bureau member and president of the Havana Provincial Defense Council, Mercedes López Acea, noted that although supplies are not meeting demand, some 15 to 18 products are available in produce markets and work is underway to secure 550 tons of food in warehouses, to assure stocks during the recovery period.

During the meeting – also attended by Political Bureau member, Minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces, Army Corps General Leopoldo Cintra Frías – other actions reported were the acceleration of harvests and the protection of urban farms.

Luis Carlos Góngora, vice president of the Provincial Administrative Council in charge of distribution, reported that extra eggs and pork are being made available and stores will remain open until 11:00pm.

Additionally, 85 trucks and 44 tractors are working on the sanitization of the city, with an emphasis on the municipalities of Playa, La Habana del Este, Arroyo Naranjo, Diez de Octubre, Centro Habana and La Habana Vieja, the closest to the coastline.

Resources in healthcare centers are being safeguarded in areas prone to flooding and services are ensured for the population, reported Raidol García, provincial head of Public Health.

Likewise steps have been taken to ensure that all visitors lodged in hotels and private B&Bs are safe; while the city’s network of hotels is ready to receive tourists evacuated from other provinces.

Plans are in place to receive residents who may need to be evacuated from their homes, with food, healthcare, and transportation to shelters ready.

López Acea called on all residents of the capital to maintain discipline, act prudently, and cooperate with authorities, in addition to complying with Civil Defense instructions in a responsible fashion, as quickly as possible.

Head of the National Civil Defense General Staff, Division General (R) Ramón Pardo Guerra, emphasized the importance of evaluating losses to determine the areas most affected, to begin work as soon as possible, once the recovery phase begins.

Hurricane Irma makes landfall at Cayo Romano

Hurricane Irma makes landfall at Cayo Romano
Last night at around 10:00pm, the powerful hurricane made landfall on Cuban territory at the eastern end of El Romano, along the northern coastline of Camagüey and Ciego de Ávila provinces

f0018835

 

 

 

 

 

Author: Orfilio Peláez | orfilio@granma.cu
september 9, 2017 11:09:22

Last night at around 10:00pm, Irma made landfall on Cuban territory at the eastern end of El Romano, just off the northern coastline of Camagüey and Ciego de Ávila provinces.

As meteorologist Dr. José Rubiera reported during the dawn hours today, September 9, hurricane force winds of over 120 km/h, with stronger gusts are being felt along the northern coast of these provinces, as well as Sancti Spíritus, and beginning in Villa Clara.

Heavy rain and a storm surge with waves over seven high, from Camagüey to Villa Clara have been reported, with coastal flooding expected.

Cubans nominate candidates for upcoming general elections

Another step toward consolidating our socialist democracy
Esteban Lazo, President of the National Assembly of People’s Power, addresses the Cuban people, as the nomination of candidates for upcoming general elections begins
Author: Esteban Lazo Hernández | informacion@granma.cu
september 4, 2017 10:09:43

f0018731Beginning today, September 4 through the end of the month, the process of nominating candidates for upcoming general elections begins in neighborhood assemblies across the country.
In a message to the Cuban people on the occasion, Esteban Lazo, President of the National Assembly of People’s Power, stated, “We are a few hours away from the beginning of the first stage of the general elections process, during which the people will nominate and elect delegates who will be members of Municipal Assemblies of People’s Power, for the 18th term in office.
“To reach this moment, electoral commissions have worked intensely on the organization, provisioning, coordination, and preparation of the process … with the purpose of guaranteeing the functioning of thousands of electoral authorities, above all the 24,000 polling stations that will be opened in (the country’s) 12,515 constituencies.
“We are among the few citizens in the world who in public meetings propose and nominate, openly and directly, candidates for constituency delegate, in an expression of profound democracy and enormous responsibility, since these individuals will form the Municipal Assembly, where they will make important decisions affecting the lives of inhabitants of the area, such as the approval and supervision of socio-economic plans, as well as the local budget, among many others.”

Continue reading

The Supposed Policy Change: Will Trump Go Farther Than Obama?

The Supposed Policy Change: Will Trump Go Farther Than Obama?

Untitled-2

 

 

 

 

Untitled-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By Esteban Morales
From Cuba Inside Out
Translated by Robert Sandels
It doesn’t take much effort to realize that the “Trump Effect” is just that; an irrational attempt to change Obama’s Cuba policy.
We don’t even know if Trump is really working to change the Obama policy because what little we know does not tend in that direction.
Comparing the attitude of both presidents we note the following: Obama did not do much to make investment easier. Now Trump puts investment in the “prohibited” file in negotiating with the Cuban military. He hasn’t advanced trade, but neither did Obama. the American banking system does not allow the dollar to circulate there. And finally, Obama has not freed up the dollar either, which was one of his deceptions. With Thump, everything indicates that the dollar will not officially circulate in Cuba either.
Trump has not broken diplomatic relations with Cuba, which is the most important thing since the embassies are continuing to function. It also appears that he has not eliminated family remittances or the 12 migratory categories that Obama set up, although Trump has eliminated the “People to People” visa program. Nor has Trump eliminated commercial flights or cruise ships. All this suggests that Cuban tourism, which has been growing year after year, will go on as before.
So, really, what has Donald Trump eliminated? I think we would have known after hearing about the presidential directive Trump signed in great theatrical style, but no one read or heard anything about Cuba among the pronouncements in his speech.

Untitled-4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, I think, as we say in Cuba, “I smell a rat.”

Continue reading

Cuba reiterates unconditional support for Venezuela

HAVANA, AUGUST 31, 2017

Cuba reiterates unconditional support for Venezuela
Residents of Havana, members of the diplomatic corps and Venezuelan students on the island marched along the central Avenue of the Presidents to the monument of The Liberator Simón Bolívar, to express their condemnation of interference by the U.S. and other governments in Latin America and the Caribbean in Venezuela’s internal affairs

Author: Nuria Barbosa León | internet@granma.cu
august 30, 2017 11:08:29

f0018705

 

 

 

 

 

 

On Friday, August 25, residents of Havana marched along the central Avenue of the Presidents to the monument of The Liberator Simón Bolívar, to express their condemnation of interference by the U.S. and other governments in Latin America and the Caribbean in Venezuela’s internal affairs. Photo: Karoly Emerson Photo: Karoly Emerson (ICAP)

The U.S. threats and sanctions against Venezuela have sparked international solidarity with the South American nation, and Cuba has reiterated its full support for the Bolivarian Revolution with various activities organized by the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples (ICAP), and other political and social organizations.

On Friday, August 25, residents of Havana, members of the diplomatic corps and Venezuelan students on the island marched along the central Avenue of the Presidents to the monument of The Liberator Simón Bolívar, to express their condemnation of interference by the U.S. and other governments in Latin America and the Caribbean in Venezuela’s internal affairs.

Continue reading

In recognition of their outstanding careers four women were awarded the August 23 Distinction

Commitment of women recognized
In recognition of their outstanding careers and the revolutionary values which have distinguished their leadership within the Federation of Cuban Women, a group of women were awarded the August 23 Distinction, yesterday August 17, a few days prior to the 57th anniversary of the organization’s founding
Author: Yaditza del Sol González | yadidelsol@granma.cu
august 18, 2017 09:08:32

f0018509

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo: Jose M. Correa
In recognition of their outstanding careers and the revolutionary values which have distinguished their leadership within the Federation of Cuban Women, a group of women were awarded the August 23 Distinction, yesterday August 17, a few days prior to the 57th anniversary of the organization’s founding.
Included among the honorees were four women who have served the organization for more than 40 years.
Tania Margarita Cruz Hernández, director of the International Center for Neurological Restoration (Ciren) and one of the honorees, shared with the press the pride she feels as a Cuban woman, and being able to play a leading role in the Revolution, at this important time, saying, “Without women, no revolutionary effort is possible. Our Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro, always visionary, said it before. And our dear Vilma Espín helped make it a reality.”
Another of the women recognized was Marta Hernández Romero, an official at the National Assembly for People’s Power, who spoke with Granma and noted that today women are present in all spheres of society and make up a large portion of the technical-professional workforce, while continuing to care for their families and homes.
Attending the event were Teresa Amarelle Boué, Political Bureau member and general secretary of the FMC; Sucely Morfa González, first secretary of the Young Communists League; Brigadier General Delsa Esther Puebla (Teté); and Carlos Rafael Miranda, national coordinator of the Committees for the Defense of the Revolution.

Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues statement addressing allegations by the U.S.

Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues statement addressing allegations by the U.S.
Cuba has never, nor would it ever, allow that the Cuban territory be used for any action against accredited diplomatic agents or their families, without exception

f0017879

 

 

 

 

 

Author: MINREX | internet@granma.cu
august 10, 2017 09:08:38

On 17 February this year, the United States Embassy in Havana and the Department of State informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the occurrence of some alleged incidents affecting some officials of that diplomatic mission and their families.
Cuba took this issue with the utmost seriousness and acted expeditiously and professionally in order to clarify the facts of this situation, initiating a comprehensive, priority and urgent investigation on the indications of the highest level of the Cuban government. To this end, it conveyed to the United States Embassy the need for information-sharing and proposed to establish cooperation between the competent authorities of both countries.
The Cuban authorities set up an inter-institutional expert committee for the analysis of the facts; expanded and reinforced the protection and security measures of the mission, its staff and diplomatic residences; and new channels were made available for direct communication between the Embassy and the Department of Diplomatic Security.
In this context, on 23 May, the Department of Sate informed the Cuban Embassy in Washington of the decision that two Cuban diplomats leave the United States territory. This led to a protest by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs due to this unjustified and unsubstantiated decision.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirms that Cuba complies rigorously and seriously with all its obligations arising from the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations in connection with the protection and inviolability of diplomatic agents and the premises of diplomatic missions.
Our country’s impeccable track record in this area is recognized internationally and Cuba is universally considered as a safe destination for both visitors and foreign diplomats, including Americans.
The Ministry categorically emphasizes that Cuba has never, nor would it ever, allow that the Cuban territory be used for any action against accredited diplomatic agents or their families, without exception. Moreover, it reiterates its willingness to cooperate in the clarification of this situation.
Havana, 9 August 2017.

ALBA-TCP rejects illegal U.S. sanctions against Venezuela

ALBA-TCP rejects illegal U.S. sanctions against Venezuela
The ALBA-TCP final declaration was presented by the organization’s Secretary General David Choquehuanca
Author: International news staff | informacion@granma.cu
august 9, 2017 10:08:39

f0018331

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo: Venezuelan Foreign Ministry Twitter
Caracas.- Speaking during the Sixth Extraordinary Meeting of the ALBA-TCP Political Council, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro Moros reaffirmed that together member states “will fight for the defense of the unity of the peoples of the Greater Homeland.”
He thanked the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA) for calling the extraordinary meeting and urged participants to consolidate progress made in large-scale integration projects being undertaken by the multilateral organization, “in keeping with the principles we embrace; complimentarity, cooperation, and profound solidarity.”
He also noted the people can only achieve their ultimate goals through unity and in this regard, called on ALBA to establish mechanisms of dialogue to contribute to preserving the organization’s founding principles.
The Venezuelan leader also highlighted the importance of cultural and diplomatic cooperation directed toward building a strong and collective economic foundation.

Continue reading

Defending the Cuban Revolution